Ivan Korske and Bobby Zane couldn't be more different. They come from different backgrounds, with different lifestyles, and have different ways of looking at the world.
Ivan is the pride of Lennings, a town tucked away in the farmlands of western New Jersey. For Ivan, a state championship fulfills a promise he made to his mother before she passed away nine months earlier. But mostly, Ivan hopes the championship will secure a college scholarship--and a chance to escape his dreary hometown.
In a wealthy town on the other side of the state, Bobby Zane protects his younger brother Christopher from the fallout of their parents impending divorce. Seeking comfort from his girlfriend, Carmelina, Bobby sees the coveted state title as his only hope for salvation from his family's problems.
Both boys have the drive, determination, and willingness to sacrifice anything necessary to become a state champion. In the end, however, only one will raise his arm in victory and have the championship gold medal placed around his neck.
AWARDS & HONORS
- Junior Library Guild Selection
- YALSA's 'Best Books For Young Adults' Nominee
- YALSA's 'Popular Paperbacks For Young Adults' Nominee
- Texas Library Association's Tayshas Reading List
- The Quills Awards Nominee - Teen/YA Category
- A Kirkus Reviews 'Book of Special Note'
- Brodart Co.'s 'Top Young Adult Titles' List
- 'Richie's Picks' Selection
- AudioFile Magazine's 'Earphones' Award (CD Version)
- ForeWord Magazine's 'Audiobook of the Year' Award - Silver Medalist (CD Version)